Saturday, December 17, 2011

Duggar Family Thoughts

I recently read a couple articles on the Duggar Family and the miscarriage they have just went through. I was severely disturbed by the article because of the comments people have towards the family.

One person was saying that Mrs. Duggar deserved to have a miscarriage because it was her 20th child she was carrying. Here is my concern with that: no one deserves to have a miscarriage. This person was completely insensitive and just plain ignorant to all the family has went through. Miscarriages are hard at any time in the pregnancy, especially the further along you get. The Duggar family was literally only two weeks ahead of me in their pregnancy so I feel like I am on the same level with feelings miscarrying at that time.

Another comment was made that they couldn't believe that the family took pictures and had a funeral for the baby. I know people have probably thought that about my pregnancy; however, I wanted pictures of the baby for memories of the human being that I gave birth too. Just because the baby was delivered before its time doesn't mean it wasn't a person and doesn't deserve to be remembered. As for the funeral they held.... they were required to have some sort of funeral service performed. A name had to be given to the child even though it was only 20 weeks for them and 18 for me. If no name was chosen, it would have simply said "Baby" on the death certificate. If you have the choice to name your child, why wouldn't you? The funeral was the Duggars choice, mine was cremation. Either way the baby was past the time frame of "medical waste" so the body could only be released to a funeral home. It is just awful to consider a pregnancy gone wrong medical waste, but it is what it is. I was afraid of what would happen to my Angel once I left the hospital. Being a nurse, I know that sometimes things are put into waste areas rather than buried or sent home. I asked my nurse specifically because I wanted to know and thankfully she said, "it is up to you because it needs to be released to a funeral home." That is why the Duggars had a funeral for "an unborn child" as the commenter put it.

The third problem I have with comments I found from the article was the pictures themselves. The pictures were tasteful, amazing, and beautiful. Had the commenter not known that the baby was dead, they wouldn't have been able to tell. My pictures that I have show more than the pictures the Duggar family showed. It is just sad to think that people can be so cruel and heartless. I understand that some people have a hard time looking at photos especially when people have pasted, but it is for a memory of a person not able to have live photos taken. And what is the difference between a family taking memory pictures of their baby and a person taking pictures of a dead person in a casket? None really.

The whole thing is just sad. The family is going through heartbreak and loss. The children are mourning the loss of a best friend, a companion, and a soul mate. How did that family, my family, or any other family deserve to have a miscarriage? That loss is never deserved. Imagine not having your loved one by your side..... just because the parent did something to "deserve" a miscarriage. Ignorant, stupid, arrogant people. I wish you could change your hearts and souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment